I love this recipe. I discovered it a few years ago and it's crazy how easy it is. The end product is delicious and so soft. Those rolls are just perfect with any meal or just as is, for a little snack. Once the basic part has been done, you can easily add any kind of cheese and topping you want to it.
First thing to do is to boil the milk. The sooner you do it, the better it is since you need to bring back it to room temperature to be able to mix it with the other ingredients. I usually put it straight in the freezer so it takes less time to cool down. While doing this step, put your yeast in hot water to activate it.
Mix your eggs and sugar together. Once the yeast mixture is fully activated and your milk mixture is cool, pour both in the bowl with the egg mixture and keep whisking. For the flour, make sure you only put 1 cup at a time. Keep mixing and knead with your hands. Form a ball and let rise for about an hour.
Next step is to form your ''cheese balls''. Form balls the size of a Ping-pong ball, wrapping the bread around cheese dices. Put 3 balls per whole in your muffin tray. If you do only 2 bigger ones, make sure you bake it a little bit longer. Brush it with melted butter, sprinkle salt and whatever spice or herb you want on top. Recommended is chives (once they are baked), parsley and grated cheese. Let the rolls rise for another hour.
Once they are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350°F. Now.. I really love butter so I always add a little bit more melted butter right before baking the rolls, but that's just me. Cook for 15 minutes and remove from tray. If you want to add chives, now is the time. If you put them before you bake the rolls, chances are they will burn. Brush a little bit more butter on top for them to stick and Voilà! You've got your delicious and fresh pull-apart rolls. Easy to share and even easier to eat!
4 ½ cups white flour
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. yeast
¼ cup hot water
1 cup milk
½ cup butter
½ cup melted butter
1 ½ cup cheddar cheese, diced (Or the cheese of your choice)
Salt for topping
1. In a small pot, bring milk to a simmer, add butter and salt. Let cool in the refrigerator until room temperature.
2. In another bowl, put yeast in hot water.
3. In a big bowl, whisk the eggs, add sugar and continue whisking. Add the cool milk mixture and yeast to the eggs mixture.
4. Add flour, 1 cup at a time while stirring.
5. Cover the dough and let rise for about an hour.
6. Form little balls with diced cheese in it. Put 3 balls in each wholes of a muffin tray. Brush with melted butter and top with salt. Let rise for another hour.
7. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook for 15 minutes, remove from tray, top with chives if desired and let cool.